Chelmno (Chełmno), founded in 1233 as the first city
and cradle of the Teutonic Knights, is a small city along the
Vistula River in between Grudziadz and Bydgoszcz. The city survived
World War II almost unharmed. Many of the historic buildings in the
Old Town are therefore still original from the end of the Middle
The city center of Chelmno is concentrated around the large market square, with in its middle the Renaissance Town Hall. The market square is surrounded by a number of fine burgher houses. There is a relatively large number of churches in Chelmno, with the Church of the Assumption and the Church of St James both dating from the early 14th century. The defensive walls that protected the town from intrudors is largely in tact, with 23 towers and the fortified Grudziadz Gate as main entrance.