Castle of the Pomeranian Dukes
The first wooden residence for the rulers of
Pomerania was first erected here in the 13th century, on a hill
along the Odra River. More than 100 years later Barnim III made it
a building of stone. The Pomeranian Duke's Castle
(Zamek Książąt Pomorskich) was then continuously
expanded. In the 16th century the castle was completely refurbished
by Duke Johan Friedrich and did it get its current Renaissance
style, In the following centuries the castle was expanded a few
more times, until the end of the 19th century. In World War II it
was badly damaged and since then the castle is undergoing
Nowadays it is pretty much back in its former glory, with four wings surrounding the inner courtyard and a fifth wing that houses the Castle Museum.
Worth seeing is also the clock tower, which has an impressive astronomical clock from 1693 and provides a nice view over the city. In the basement of the Odra Wing the crypts of some of the Pomeranian Dukes are located.
The castle currently houses a museum, the local opera as well as various cultural institutions and gastronomy.
ul. Korsarzy 34